Sunday, November 23, 2014

Oh, Holiday Folly

With the change of seasons comes the holidays: Halloween, Thanksforgiving, Christmas. For Halloween I bought purple hair spray and planned to turn myself Violet, but that idea died quickly after I discovered I couldn't wear it to work. I could, I'd just end up changing the color of my hat. Anyways, the next holiday is Thanksforgiving, and I have so much to be thankful for. However, I will wait until the day is closer to give you my list of things to give thanks to. Christmas... I've got a month. 

The weather outside is changing, and I love it. I love the colors of the leaves on the ground, and the partly cloudy days are perfect. It's also getting a bit chilly, which means I'm gonna get to start wearing sweatshirts and sweat pants again. 

I heard this quote somewhere, it went something like this: "A diet is not just one meal. It's everything you ate that day, that week, and that month." 

I love that. It makes me much more confident about what I eat, and makes me stress out less when I have more than one Oreo. I've actually been eating a lot of fruit and protein lately. I volunteered at a fitness event and got some sample protein shakes that I eat after I work out. I'm on Thanksforgivingbreak so I have so much more time to work out. I've been running a mile and half every day and biking 3 miles. It may seem like a lot, but I pace myself (don't worry parents!). 

I found this recipe for orange zest tea the other day, which turned out really good. Being that it's been chilly around the house, this is just absolutely perfect and I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys tea. 

What I did was I ate an orange, but then saved the peel. I used a potato peeler to peel off some of the peel of the orange. I find that doing this before you actually eat the orange is so much more convenient. With the orange peel shaving things, I put those in a small pot of boiling water with about 1 cup- 1 1/2 cups water. I let it come to a light boil for a few minutes while stirring lightly. Then turned off the heat and used a spoon with holes in it to get out the orange peels. Into a mug it went after that! I added some sugar and ta dah! 

I can't give you any real estimate of how much sugar I added because sweetness varies from person to person. I can't wait to try this technique with other fruits! I hope you enjoy, and stay warm!


No comments:

Post a Comment