Sunday, November 2, 2014

Day 2 With Nothing

Alright, I'm on day two of vice-conquering.

The one that I am struggling with most is getting distracted by the internet. As I am working on an assignment, the lure of clicking a new tab and reading some article unrelated to my homework is very strong. Of course, I am still allowing myself time for self-improvement articles, but am trying to separate the time I spend on those sites from the time I spend doing assignments.

Because it's the weekend, and I am not at school, I haven't had many opportunities to speak up. My step-mom got a kidney-pancreas transplant on Wednesday, and so I went to visit her yesterday. Upon arriving, I tried to initiate conversation; however, I immediately picked up that it was no time to chat. I was more useful being there than making it known that I was there.

There's seems to be a necessity for balance when it comes to being a conversationalist. Talking too much can make you seem chatty and annoying, whereas not talking enough can make you seem shy or careless. Many people, including myself, have yet to find this balance. I used to be very chatty, but have become more quiet over the years. The reason for this is probably because I have moved a fair number of times due to life changes. Talking has become more of a symbol of committment to a person, and I have a disinterest in talking and getting comfortable with a person if I am just going to get up and move again. Hmm....

Studying harder? I mean, I could always be studying right now (Oh, geez.)
I got up early this Sunday morning and read out of my American Government text book. I also finished some of my homework for that class. There's always something else that I could be studying, though.

Munchies are evil. I can't stand them. Don't get me wrong. I love food, but not when it's sitting there tempting me. With Halloween being a few days ago, and candy being in every corner of my house, the struggle to stay focused on the task at hand is real. Most of the candy isn't mine, so I cannot just throw it away. If I did that, I'd probably be upsetting many people in this little apartment. But with the presence of candy and sweets in my house at the moment, I am more motivated to stay away from it. I pride myself in being able to say, "No thank-you," when offered junk food, and I beat myself up when I give in.

I suppose being upset for having a bad day is not the way to go about approaching these vices. I will have bad days. I will make mistakes. Hell, I'll probably make the same mistakes all over again, but the thing to note is this: One bad day does not define a bad week. One bad week does not make up a month, and one bad month does not ruin the year.

I think I read that somewhere a few days ago when I was distracted by the internet.

OOPS.

No comments:

Post a Comment