Monday, November 3, 2014

Hate

A few months ago, Max Glauben, a holocaust survivor, conducted an AMA on Reddit. When asked if he had forgiven the Nazis for their treatment, Glauben answered:

“Hate is within the hater. It distorts who he is and also stays within him. The person that he hates sometimes doesn't even know about it. Hating someone is the equivalent of drinking poison and hoping that the person who he hates will die. I choose not to hate so that I don't become the person that applied hate to me.”


When I hear people use the word, "hate," I assume they are using it to exaggerate a situation. I think most people are incapable of hate, simply because they have not been faced with such a trial that would require such an emotion. 

I don't think I've ever hated anyone. I've experienced strong distrust, anger, and dislike towards another person, but never hate. Hate is something like love, because should not be taken lightly. Hate is damaging, destructive, and painful. It causes discomfort in the hearts of all who witness it and can be as crippling as poison.

One would argue that a person such as Max Glauben, who endured such a trial like the Holocaust, should be able to feel hatred justly. However, even he resists.

So next time you use the word, "hate," think about your reasoning. Think about the usage of your words, because you can probably find another word that will fit your situation just fine. Don't be comfortable with hatred, because then you'll become uncomfortable with forgiveness.


No comments:

Post a Comment